This site contains affiliate links, meaning that we earn a small commission for purchases made through our site. We only recommend products we personally use, love, or have thoroughly vetted.
The experience of pregnancy loss can be so heartbreaking, and the grief is hard to navigate because it’s so intangible. You may have a positive pregnancy test or ultrasound photos to remind you of the life that lived inside you.
But there are no tangible objects–usually no gravesite to visit, no clothes that smell like the person you’ve lost–nothing you can quite grasp onto as an outlet for your grief.
This is why so many people turn to the written word during their struggles.
We can help ourselves heal through miscarriage memorials like lighting a candle during the Wave of Light. We can join miscarriage support groups, gather our community for comfort, work out our feelings in therapy or through a tool like a guided journal for miscarriage.
We can read all the miscarriage books, and we’ll likely find comfort in doing whichever of these things feels right to us.
But when we need comfort in a moment, just for a minute, as will often happen during grief, there is little that can support us better in that instant and immediate need than a poignant miscarriage quote.
These are some of the ones that got me through the darkest days of my recurrent miscarriage journey.
Where to Find Miscarriage Quotes
In addition to the many quotes listed in this article, there are lots of great places to find miscarriage quotes to help you heal.
You can find healing quotes in books about miscarriage, scroll through Instagram content with #miscarriagequotes, or listen to your favorite cathartic songs about loss.
For me, the most healing miscarriage song was Pink’s “Beam Me Up.” In this gorgeous (but tear jerking) ode to her lost baby, she begs to be able to see her child just for a minute, to hold its face.
I used to listen to this song while running. I would wait until I was in a private place on my jog, then put this song on spotify, sob, release my sadness through my legs, and scream along with the words “I’m tired of being a fighter.”
I hope you can find similar catharsis and healing through these miscarriage quotes.
Miscarriage Quotes for Parents: What You Want to Say to Your Baby
1. “You never arrived in my arms, but you will never leave my heart.” — Zoe Clark-Coates
2. “How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts.” — Dorothy Ferguson
3. “Your wings were ready, but my heart was not.”
4. “I held you every second of your life.” — Stephanie Paige Cole
5. “I carry you in my heart.”
Miscarriage Quotes to Give You Comfort
1. “It hurts because it matters.” — John Green
2. “A mother is never defined by the number of children you can see, but by the love that she holds in her heart.” —Franchesca Cox
3. “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched. They must be felt within the heart.” —Helen Keller
4. “Babies lost in the womb were never touched by fear. They were never cold, never hungry, never alone, and importantly always knew love.” —Zoe Clark-Coates
5. “A miscarriage is a natural and common event. All told, probably more women have lost a child from this world than haven’t. Most don’t mention it. But ask her sometime: how old would your child be now? And she’ll know.” —Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams
6. “Losing a child means carrying an almost unbearable grief, experienced by many but talked about by few.” —Meghan Markle
7. “Life isn’t always about beating the waves. Sometimes, it’s about learning to breathe underwater.” —L.E. Bowman
8. “A miscarriage is not a failure, because a failure implies that it’s something you can ‘control.’ Miscarriages are beyond our control.” —Dr. Simone Whitmore
9. “Because someone we love is in heaven, there’s a little bit of heaven in our home.” —Unknown
Sympathy Quotes for Miscarriage to Help Navigate Grief
1. “There is no right way to grieve; there is only your way to grieve and that is different for everyone.” — Nathalie Himmelrich
2. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” — Maya Angelou
3. “There is a unique pain that comes from preparing a place in your heart for a child that never comes.” —David Platt
4. “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” —Vicki Harrison
5. “‘There is no heartbeat.’ 4 words. 4 words to end the life I had. 4 words to change who I was. It will never be the same again. I will never be the same again.” —Kerin Lee
6. “There is no time limit to healing. You take as much time as you need.” —S.L. Gray
What miscarriage quotes have helped you heal?
Katy Huie Harrison, PhD, is an author, mom, recurrent miscarriage survivor, & owner of Undefining Motherhood. She lives in Atlanta with her husband (affectionately known on the internet as “Husband,”) son (Jack), and dog (Charlotte). She believes our society puts too many expectations on women that make womanhood and motherhood restrictive. Her goal is to shift the paradigm about what it means to be a woman and mother, giving all women a greater sense of agency over their own lives. You can find Katy and her work featured in places like CNN’s Headline News, Romper, Scary Mommy, Demeter Press’s Motherhood and Social Exclusion, & more.